When used in this Policy, "personal information" has the meaning given in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). Generally, it means any information or an opinion that could be used to identify you.
This Policy is to be read in conjunction with our Terms of Service.
At lyf, we have built a social media platform for people all over the world to share their personal journeys. Personal journeys are inherently private and so, from our very inception, protecting privacy has been a core value. Lyf is designed to foster confidence that when you create a personal journey, your journey remains just that: personal. Like anything in your personal life, you choose what you share and with whom you want to share. Maybe you want to share it with a few close friends or family on a private journey? Or maybe you’re happy to share it with the whole world on a public journey? Alternatively, you may share your journey as an anonymous user. At the end of the day, for every journey you make, you are in complete control.
When it comes to privacy and the management of your personal information, please be assured, on the lyf platform:
1. Lyf is a social media platform dedicated to enriching the lives of its members. At lyf’s heart is the creation of individual member accounts through which members are able to maintain their own personal journeys.
2. Lyf is built around all the personal journeys individuals are making in their life, and all the personal journeys individuals are following. Journeys can be private or public. Although lyf collects personal information through the general operation of your account only our members have the ability to share their personal information.
3. Through your privacy settings, Lyf enables you to easily control and manage your privacy by setting limits on the extent to which your journeys are shared.
4. Building trust with our members is critical to lyf. Accordingly, we will only use your personal information in accordance with this Policy and our Terms of Service.
5. To create your lyf account minimal personal information is collected. You will also be asked to create a password.
6. By creating a lyf account you will have complete control over the protection of your personal information. Other members will only be able to view your personal journey when you specifically elect to invite them to follow your journey. There is no requirement to make your journeys public. You can have some private journeys, some anonymous and some public journeys.
7. When you commence posting details of your private journeys on lyf only a limited amount of information will be shared to the people you decide to invite to follow you – e.g. the title of your journey. If they accept your invitation, they will then see all the details you post on your private journeys. If you no longer wish to share your private journey with your chosen followers, you may remove them as followers at any time.
8. By making a journey public, you acknowledge that you are immediately opening the information you post on that journey to the public. This means that anyone with an internet connection could potentially see all of the posts you make on your public journey.
9. By creating your account and commencing your first journey on lyf you expressly and voluntarily accept the Terms of Service, including the terms of this Policy.
10. The policy applies to all personal information which we collect hold or use from and relating to you. For example, we collect certain details from you when you first register and create your lyf account.
11. We also collect the personal information which you tell us and which you share as part of your content on your shared journeys. In some cases, with your consent (for example, if you engage us to provide our Lyf Support™ services), we may also collect health information about you, such as your medical history.
12. If you want to share a story about another person’s experiences of health related issues in which that person will be easily identifiable, you must seek permission from the individual or next of kin first and let them know about our Policy. Some people may not want their experience made public. It is important to consider the impact and respect the wishes of others affected by the same story as you.
13. Lyf collects and retains personal information about you including your name, gender, location, email address and contact details and the details you choose to share concerning your journeys as tracked by you in the ordinary course of your use of lyf.
14. Lyf also collects any health information that you elect to share with our counsellors as part of any Lyf Support services that you may elect to receive.
15. Collection of your personal information is necessary for us to provide you with the full range of lyf’s services.
16. In particular, we collect your information from you to:
a. establish your lyf account
b. develop a history of the journey types (tags) you are making and the journey types (tags) you are following. We do this to help us suggest journeys you may be interested in following.
c. receive and respond to communications from you regarding your lyf experiences – including details of any complaints or customer support enquiries
d. provide Lyf Support services
e. maintain our business relationship with you and offer our services on an on-going basis
17. We may also use your information for in-house research and analysis. This helps us, for example, to: (i) improve our understanding of customer needs; and (ii) support strategic development.
18. Lyf or its undertaking may be the subject of sale or negotiations for sale in which case your personal information may be disclosed and ultimately pass into the custody of a purchaser. If this occurs disclosure and transfer will be subject to the terms of this Policy and the Australian Privacy Principles.
19. We generally only collect your personal information directly from you or from your followers – e.g. friends and family who have commented and/or otherwise contributed to your journeys. Remember, you will always be able to moderate the data that others post about you on your journey.
20. Personal information is generally collected during the course of our contact with you and is largely provided by you, first as part of your registration to become a lyf member and then on ongoing basis as you create and make your own lyf journeys and/or take advantage of our Lyf Support service.
22.We may also request:
a. your preferences for receiving further information about our services or activities
b. demographic information and unique identifiers in order to provide you with a more personalised service or to verify your passwords.
23. Wherever possible, we will try to collect personal information from you directly, rather than from another person or source, unless it is unreasonable or impractical to do so.
24. We also use technology such as cookies to collect personal information from you. A cookie is a small file, which is placed on your hard drive when you visit lyf. We use information from cookies for various purposes including:
a. identifying returning users, and members
b. eliminating the need for returning users to re-enter their login details
c. enabling you to move more easily around our website and applications
d. tracking your use of our platform to better develop our platform and applications in accordance with your requirements
e. building up an anonymous profile based on your useage patterns across our platform, applications and third party websites, which enables us to make content available to you that we believe may be more relevant to you having regard to your interests.
25. You can delete cookies from your hard drive at any time. Deleting cookies and other settings such as your stored username and password will require them to be re-entered when you next log in.
26. You can also choose whether you wish us to collect cookie information for these purposes using the settings in your browser.
27. In most cases we will require you to specifically consent to any collection, use or disclosure of your personal information us. This is done by accepting the Terms of Service and consenting to this Policy. Sometimes your consent may be implied through your conduct with us.
28. In all cases you agree that provision by you to us of personal information, including sensitive information, constitutes consent to our collecting, storing, using and disclosing that information for the purposes outlined above and in the ways outlined in this policy.
29. You consent to the disclosure of your personal information if:
a. we believe disclosure is necessary to prevent injury to life or health; or
b. it is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or by the Order of an Australian Court or Tribunal.
30. No matter how your personal or sensitive information is collected, it will be dealt with in accordance with this Policy and the Australian Privacy Principles.
31. We use your personal information to provide lyf’s services to you and your followers.
32. When you elect to make a journey public then, and only then, will other members be able to search lyf to identify your public journeys. By keeping your journeys private you ensure other members who you haven’t invited to follow you are not able to view your journeys.
33. We may also use the personal information shared within the content of your journeys to identify the potential of offering you access to our Lyf Support services. This does not represent a commitment on the part of Lyf to be reviewing and assessing the content on your journeys.
34. Further, the personal information that we collect from you may also be used for the following purposes:
a. to provide you with information or resources that you have requested – e.g. as part of the Lyf Support service
b. for internal administrative purposes
c. to send you communications about our services, programs, campaigns or other activities
35. If you elect to make a journey public then your personal information may be shared with potentially anyone who has an internet connection, as well as your invited followers.
36. Public journeys are exactly that: public. By making a journey public you acknowledge and agree that to the extent your journey involves the disclosure of personal information, including potentially sensitive information, then that information can be viewed by others: the information is no longer private.
37. Except as expressly contemplated by this Policy, lyf will not use your personal information for direct marketing purposes. If lyf allows a third party to offer services to you via the lyf platform then this will only occur through the sharing by us of de-identified data. For example, we may share with third party providers aggregated user statistics by reference to location, gender, journey types and/or age. This information will not personally identify you.
38. By accepting lyf’s Terms of Service and the terms of this policy and by providing lyf with information or seeking its services, you consent to direct marketing to you of relevant services or opportunities identified by lyf, its related entities or third party service providers dealing with lyf. However, as noted, we will not disclose your personal information for the purpose of targeted marketing but rather only de-identified data.
39. If you do not want to receive any of this information, you may opt out of receiving direct marketing by making your journeys private.
40. We rely on the personal information we hold about you to efficiently provide our services.
41. For this reason, it is important that the personal information we collect from you is accurate, complete and up to date. During the course of our relationship with you we will ask you to tell us of any changes to your personal information. However, you can contact us at any time to update your personal information or to tell us the information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete.
42. Lyf takes all reasonable precautions to safeguard your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
43. We employ a number of means to protect your personal information, including:
a. external and internal premises security
b. restricted access to personal information
c. maintaining a secure computer network to prevent unauthorised access
d. regular reviewing and testing of our software in order to improve the level of security
e. internal policies in relation to lyf computer use
f. taking reasonable steps to ensure third parties provide information security of a similar standard.
44. However, notwithstanding the above, no data transmission over the internet or information stored on servers accessible through the internet can be guaranteed to be fully secure.
45. In addition, we take reasonable steps to destroy or de‐identify your personal information once we no longer need it.
46. You may request access to any of the personal information we hold about you. In most cases, a summary of personal information such as your name and address details, contact telephone numbers and the matters you have engaged us on are freely available to you by contacting us by any of the means set out at the end of this policy.
47. Lyf may be required by law to retain your personal information for a period of time after you have ceased your relationship with us. After the required time has passed, we proceed with the secure destruction or deletion of your personal information.
48. At any time you may access your personal information controlled by lyf to modify, correct, or delete it. You may also change or remove your content and close your account. You can also contact us for any account information which is not on your profile or readily accessible to you. If you close your account, we will remove your information from the lyf service within 24 hours.
49. This policy may change from time-to-time. Any updated version of this Policy will be posted on our websites and will be effective from the date of posting.
This Policy was last updated on 8 September, 2017.
50. If you have a question about this Policy or wish to lodge a request to access your personal information you can contact our Privacy Officer at email@example.com
52. If you are not satisfied with the result of your complaint to lyf, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. For more information, see: